Page 1: Introduction

Canterbury Christ Church University has a long and proud history of training our future healthcare professionals. Although you may be familiar with what our nurses, doctors, and midwives do, you may know less about the work done by our Allied Health Professions such as:

  • Diagnostic Radiographers 
    Diagnostic Radiographers use radiographic equipment to do x-rays and other procedures, analysing and reporting on the results to Doctors and ensuring that emergency procedures are performed. You are likely to have come into contact with a diagnostic radiographer if you have had an x-ray, MRI or other medical imaging procedure. 
  • Occupational Therapist
    An Occupational Therapist provides support to people whose health prevents them doing the activities that matter to them. You are likely to have come into contact with an occupational therapist if you have needed help to identify strengths and difficulties you may have in everyday life, such as dressing or getting to the shops. An Occupational Therapist may have helped you work out practical solutions.
  • Operating Department Practitioners
    Operating Department Practitioners (ODPs) are Allied Health Professionals who are based in operating theatres, providing a high standard of patient-focused care during anaesthesia, surgery and recovery, responding to patients’ physical and psychological needs. You are likely to have come into contact with an ODP if you have had an operation (but may have thought it was a theatre nurse).
  • Paramedics
    Paramedics provide specialist care and treatment to patients who have been involved in accidents, emergencies or other crises. A paramedic is typically one of the first healthcare professionals to arrive at the scene of an emergency in a pre-hospital environment. You are likely to have come into contact with a paramedic if you have needed to call an ambulance for an emergency.
  • Physiotherapists
    Physiotherapists help people affected by injury, illness or disability through movement and exercise, manual therapy, education and advice. They maintain health for people of all ages, helping patients to manage pain and prevent disease. You are likely to have come into contact with a physiotherapist if you have been referred (or referred yourself) for pain that is restricting your movement.
  • Speech and Language Therapists
    Speech and Language Therapists (SLT) provide life-changing treatment, support and care for children and adults who have difficulties with communication, eating, drinking and swallowing. You are likely to have come into contact with an SLT if you have had problems speaking and communicating, either with a child whose speech is slow to develop, or as an older person whose ability to speak has been impaired by illness or injury. You may also have come into contact with an SLT if you have difficulty with eating or swallowing. 


The work they do is vital to our populations in Kent and Medway. Many of these professionals were key to helping us deal with challenges presented by the pandemic. Staff and alumni of the University were key in setting up services within the Nightingale Hospitals and many of our healthcare students took time out of their studies to help on the frontline.


The University now needs the help of the public in Kent and Medway to ensure that we continue to train the very best healthcare professionals for the future. We are reviewing our courses to ensure they continue to meet the expectations of other healthcare professionals and service leaders, but also those who may experience the work they do first-hand - so we need to know what’s important to you.

We anticipate it will take approximately 10 minutes to complete the survey, and your contribution is greatly appreciated.

Please note that all responses to this survey are used solely for the purpose of this consultation and are anonymous.